Wednesday 7 March 2012

A New Class

Karen Ruane is doing another class, Extending Embellishment, and I just had to sign up for it.  The first class I did, was such a delight, I couldn't let this one pass me by.  The first lesson was Monday, and like any teacher, she has given us homework.

This class is using various surfaces for embroidery, the first being scrim.  Our task was to machine stitch onto it to help stabilise it.  We have to experiment with different stitches.
The first I did, is just straight lines.  I used my 1/4" foot, but used the outside of the foot as a guide so ended up with a wider gap.


The second, I formed a grid.  I did three rows of stitching close together, then left a wider gap


I've also got a piece with large pin tucks formed into a grid.

I have more samples to do, but they have to wait, the 1/4" foot is needed.


5 comments:

Annie said...

Looks like it would be hard to keep that from getting distorted when you do machine stitching on it. Did it give you that kind of trouble?

Terry said...

This looks like it's going to be very interesting! :0)

Rudee said...

I'm looking forward to what this will ultimately look like.

Wendy said...

What a neat process to use to help keep the skrim stable. Was it hard to handle while sewing?

Anonymous said...

I loved the last pieces you created so I simply can't wait to see what you make this time. Sure to be lovely.